Satisfying, Scrumptious, Sablés

Back when my grandmother was still here in NYC, she made THE BEST sablés in the world. And best of all, they had my father's approval. Now that means something.
Since she left for Ukraine with my grandfather, my dad has been begging me to replicate her recipe. Although she still hasn't passed the recipe onto me, I had to venture out on my own, into the deep and vast forest of online recipe collections.

Finding a good recipe online is easy. Except for the fact that there are millions of recipes, all for the same dish, but each oh so very different. Now you have to go through every single recipe, compare the ingredients, compare the directions, look through the comments to see which ones have the best reviews, drool at every single close up of food, all just to pick out one. Do you see my struggle?
So, I decided to go with one that I found on the New York Times website, here. I decided that if someone's recipe made it into such an acclaimed newspaper, surely it had to be the best.
Sablés, meaning 'sand' in French, divulges the feel and texture of the cookie. Your first bite will be crumby, sugary, and crunchy. But once they start to melt in your mouth, the sensation of the sweet richness of the powdered sugar and the salty savor of the butter will come together and fulfill their fate in pleasing all your senses.
                                                                 Hungry yet?

Ingredients: 

  • 2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter, softened *
  • ½ cup granulated sugar (+ more for dusting the exterior)
  • 3 tablespoons sifted confectioner's sugar
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
*If using unsalted butter, add ½ teaspoon salt

Directions:
  • Cream the butter with the sugars until you get a very velvety consistency, not airy and light. We need them rich and dense.
  • Beat in the egg yolks until incorporated into the creamy mixture.
  • Add the flour, stirring it in with a spatula until just mixed and no more flour is visible. Do not over mix here.
  • Lay out dough onto a surface and divide into 2 pieces. Shape each into a log, about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for an hour, or up to 3 days.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Put sugar into a bowl.
  • Slice each log into ⅓ inch thick cookies. Place each cookie into the sugar bowl to coat just one side. Place the cookie on its non-sugar-side-down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  • Bake for 20 minutes until just turning slightly golden. However, to make sure they all bake evenly, halfway through (at 10 minutes) rotate the tray 180 degrees in the oven and complete the baking.  Don't worry if they're a bit soft when you take them out of the oven, they will harden as they cool. 
Don't worry if they're a bit soft when you take them out of the oven, they will harden as they cool.
Enjoy!

If you try this recipe, please leave comment below! 
I would love to hear your feedback!

Love, Mariya 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Mariya Kulyk

Mariya Kulyk
It's me! Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy reading it :)

Popular Posts